Friday, October 21, 2005

Difference between looking and reading - Arabic

saw a cool post at Impart Art - Daily called The difference between Looking and Reading. i quote:
I'd be interested to know if the same thing is true of pictographic languages,
but I'd guess that it is.
well, i decided to try and reproduce the excersise in arabic to see if its still works. its not exactly a pictographic language, but it has a non-latin alphabet, which should be fun to try. anyway here it goes...

Try to read the colors below as fast as possible:

now try to say out loud the color of the word bellow with out reading the actual word:

Mary Ann explains in the original post that anyone profecient in the language (arabic in this case) should need to make an effort to supress the tendancy to read.

my arabic isnt strong enough to rate whether or not it is as hard as the english version (im illiterate in several languages, you see). any fluent arabic speakers feel free to comment.

this should be made a meme, i think, and try to gather as many languages as it can...for scientific purposes and for the hell of it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary Ann said...

I can do this much faster in Arabic (which I can't read at all) than I can in English. But I'm still faster with the blocks than the words.

Hmmmm. Maybe my brain doesn't know I can't read Arabic. . . .

October 22, 2005 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home